Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holiday Happenings

Thought I'd share some updates of our December through pictures and commentary. 

This really is the most wonderful time of the year!  


I'll work on getting a picture with all three of the kids by the tree. Please remind me!




 Our trip to the Christmas Tree Farm.  Umm, Tree Trailer.  At none other than Costco.  
It was windy and cold.  
We needed to pick up a few gallons of milk.  
We get 2% cash back.  
Pretty sure we won't actually cut our own tree down again until all kids can dress themselves in winter layers.



Our 1st ornament.  I believe I was scrubbing sap off my hands while this ornament must have been carefully placed on our tree by one of the boys.  I walked out to the living room, saw it and just smiled.  It's since been removed - a boy's gotta build - but replaced by plenty of other just as perfect ornaments!




While I was putting up some of the last tree decorations, Max wanted to try his hand at putting garland on this little grapevine tree. Instead of wrapping it around the tree like I was doing on our big tree, he kind of looped it in a lot of bows on the top of it.  I loved how original it was.  

And, quite frankly, was glad there was one less strand of garland for me to put on our tree.  Decorating took a couple weeks from start to finish (and I'm just talking about the tree.  Our house decorating continues...)



I loved sliding on snowy and icy streets when I was a bit younger (and less apt to fall from 5'10" above ground and hurt my shoulder).  A few weeks back we had a light dusting of snow when I was picking the boys up from school and they loved it as well.  Their sheer thrill was fun to hear as they enjoyed sliding.




Decorating giant gingerbread boys.  Otto used a modest amount of decorations (probably because every time he picked up a candy he decided to eat it right then and there instead of putting it on his gingerbread boy).   



 Max loaded his boy up with plenty of frosting and candy.  Wren happily chewed the arm of one of the boys while her brothers decorated.




Snow Pants!  I LOVE snow pants on little kids.  Or more specifically, the way little kids walk while wearing snow pants.  And the complete and utter exhaustion that follows after little kids walk in snow pants outside in piles of snow.



Wren loved the huge blizzard we got in mid-December.  



Of course the boys did as well.  This year's igloo was built incredibly fast given our 12+ inches of snow one Saturday, and a table that I had left in our back yard.   



A shipment of presents - the 1st wrapped presents the boys saw this year.  They had so much fun opening the box of gifts from Aunt Cristy, Uncle Sean & cousin Lily, and even more fun placing them under the tree. 


 And still more fun removing them from under the tree and seeing how high of a pile they could make.  Any way you stack it, presents are fun!


 Wren enjoying looking at the ornaments.  She's actually been doing pretty good not tearing the tree apart.  I love this picture - she started babbling to this start ornament, which happens to be one with beads spelling "SUMMER" on it that my mom made for me when I was in grade school.  

I have yellow felt.  I have letter beads.  I have thread.  I have a needle.  I have every intent to make the same ornaments for Max, Otto & Wren.  Hopefully in time for this Christmas.


 The Holidazzle Parade.

This past Sunday we were the Schuster family about town.  After naps we decided to make it to the Children's Museum in St Paul for the last hour of Target Free 3rd Sundays.  It worked out so well - much less busy then, than showing up at 9am when they 1st opened.  

Following the museum we figured that since we were all already loaded in the car, and had to pass through Minneapolis to get home, that we'd hit up the Holidazzle.  After some dinner at Noodles we headed to Nicollet Mall and made it to the parade in perfect timing.  

It was so much fun.  All three of the kids loved the sparkling lights.  Joe and I truly got to experience Christmas through their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment