Sunday, January 6, 2013

SOHO


Faribault Woolen Mills "SoHo Throw"


On the verge of closing down, the leaders of Faribault Woolen Mills gave their designers the task of creating a new blanket design using "stuff on hand only" - or SOHO.

The blanket that Joe got me for Christmas is Faribault's SOHO throw. Using scraps and existing supplies, they created a beautiful new blanket design. 


Stuff On Hand Only.

I love this idea!  Joe really loves this idea!!  

For 2013 I am committing to think really long and hard before I buy any new stuff to do any crafting or DIYing.  I have so many materials here at home that there are easily hundreds of crafts that I can start and finish without having to buy any new stuff.  

From sewing to printing to felting to knitting to tens of other things...all I need to do is look through my bins of craft supplies to be inspired.  Or, search for ideas in new craft books I received for Christmas, on Pinterest or the web using materials I have on hand.  In fact, I've started a Pinterest board for SOHO inspiration and already have a handful of ideas I can tackle just by using things I already own.  It's great.  I'm ready to delete any Jo-Ann emails I get...even their Free Shipping.No Minimum. ones!

Saving myself time by not having to shop for new materials.
Saving myself money by not buying new unnecessary materials.
De-cluttering by turning my "stuff" into useful (or at least beautiful) creations.
Reducing my carbon footprint by not driving to Jo-Ann or having them ship me things (OK. Bit of a stretch.)

Pinterest parties?  So 2012.

2013 will be the year of the SOHO party.  My house, you're all invited, and I can even supply the stuff if needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment