Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Five Best Words in Air Travel




Do not let her cuteness fool you.  She sat, cute as a little bird, in that airplane seat for about 5 minutes.  All five of those minutes were before the plane even took off.  After that, all down hill.  

Taking full advantage of not having to pay for a seat for Wren for another 8 months, she was our lap infant to and from Mexico.  More precisely, MY lap infant because she wanted no one but "Mama" as soon as the plane took off. 

And "lap infant" is a total misnomer.  She wouldn't sit for a moment on my lap.  Plus she's the size of a toddler, not an infant.  

So for our flight to Mexico I stood and swayed and rocked her.  We walked the aisles.  She tried to grab everything she couldn't have.  I tried my best to get her to snooze.  At least on the flight going to Mexico everyone was happy and all excited, making googly eyes with her and chatting her up.  Our seat mates were won over by her cuteness and so empathetic of the circus I had taking place in my arms (and forgiving of my profuse sweating and BO after four hours of said circus).

The way back to Minneapolis from Mexico?  I don't even want to recount it.  Horrible.  Crabby, crabby girl.  Crabby, crabby passengers, not happy that they walked onto a plane from 80 degrees and would be walking off the same plane into 8 degrees.  Wren could have been the cutest girl in the world, but it was lost on the folks watching me try to wrangle her - flailing and sobbing and sad the entire flight.  

But the thing is, every flight I've been on has always had five really amazing words announced...


 "We've begun our initial descent."




As with all things, hindsight is 20/20.  A day after we returned home we were at the Doctor's getting her ears checked.  She had an ear infection, Hand, Food and Mouth disease and an eye tooth cut through.  

More on Mexico to come.  "The Cloud" saved the day - all my photos from Mexico were pushed from my phone to our computer back in Minneapolis (I love, love, love technology!) - so I'll write up a bit more on our trip and select some more photos to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment