Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Counting Our Blessings

Thanksgiving week - that's what it was! - was so nice. I was out of the office for 6 days in a row (as were most of my colleagues, which meant re-entry earlier this week was easier than most every other Monday since I've been back).  I also had a couple days where all the kids were in daycare, so I started a new class at a new gym, got most of my Christmas shopping done, among other things.  A truly wonderful break!

Thanksgiving day itself was perfect in my opinion.  Fifty plus degrees when we woke up - allowing for an entire morning outside.  And then huge snow flakes falling by turkey dinner time!  

Speaking of, what a difference a year makes.  Last year we were still chasing Otto, not quite 2 years old, around our in-laws house trying to keep him out of mischief - while also managing a one month old Wren.  But this year Otto fit right in with the big kids...16 kids in total, on Thanksgiving.  They all played together, policing each other and not fighting (unfortunately, Max & Otto's thing at the moment, at least while inside our house, is fighting with each other).  

This meant I was able to enjoy a few, or more, beers. We were leaving at the end of the night and it dawned on me, and I needed to ask Joe, "Did you dish up plates of food for the boys tonight?"  To which he assured me he did and was pretty sure they each ate the buttered roll.  Thanksgiving Success!  For everyone!  

Here, a few more of the blessings I've been counting recently!


* Capturing moments like these.  Snuggling and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade together.


* Weather warm enough (55 degrees!) to enjoy a morning at the Lake with shoes off (well, for Otto, anyway) and jackets off!

* A ponytail (on my daughter as well as my sons;)

* A new baby nephew.  My sister-in-law Liz's son Dash is two tiny months old.

* Otto playing guitar for much of Thanksgiving night.  I resolve to figure out how to get the kids (at least the boys) in music lessons in 2013.  They've been asking about it and I've been talking about doing something about it for much too long.

* But seriously, how dang adorable is this?!  Mod Rocker.  
"Wren, is truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous."

* Wren & Papa John.  She was having such fun running over to him, climbing into his lap and giving him hugs.

* Fun Thanksgiving treats from our neighbors

* The morning following the 55 degree day at the Lake.  Good job scraping Max & Otto!

* Wren wearing Max & Otto's old blue and green winter hat and jacket.  Otto wearing Wren's new pink mittens (because they're a bit big for her yet).  All mixed up and totally OK with it.

* Celebrating my cousin Maggie's 25th Birthday at my Aunt Ann's house.  A wonderful, relaxing, home-cooked meal with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment