Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Home for the Holidays

As I work on one of my least favorite things ever - taking down our Christmas trees and all the holiday decorations - here's a little photo recap of our decked halls.  

It's going to feel so empty once everything's all put away.  But it will be a nice blank canvas to get our house the way I want it for Spring and Summer!



Me & Joe before heading out to dinner with his parents and siblings.

Homemade Granola that I gave to teachers as part of their gift.  The antique Ball lids (garage sale find this summer) were the perfect touch.

Cousin Lily said Wren looks like she's caroling here. If she was, she was definitely singing Frosty or Rudolph, which she loves!


Following last Christmas, Joe made a built-in book case in the other corner of our living room, so after many years, we put the tree up in this corner. For the 1st time I taped Christmas cards around the archway between the kitchen and living room.

For the 2nd year in a row this wooden tree Joe made has been in the play room (instead of one of the boy's room) and I lit it up.

Our buffet in the kitchen.  While I'm loving our living room and play room of late, I am disenchanted with our kitchen and trying to think of simple ways to liven up the aesthetic of it.  Ideas welcome.

Our living room, which I always love so much at the Holidays.  The garland above the windows was a bit more challenging to work with this year.  I placed lights in them, which was a nice addition at night time.  

The play room is also now a pseudo mud room with basket, hooks and cubby for each kid.  Our measly front entry is a land mine and hazard with the amount of snowy gear dropped there every afternoon.  

Our Christmas tree, which looks very, very, very similar year after year.  I'm thinking of trying something a bit different next year.  Since everyone asks, yes, we did string the popcorn.  Joe and I.  Before kids. A full five years before we had any kids. That makes those strings of popcorn a decade old.  It's PopSecret butter flavor, and apparently has a shelf life of eternity.


After five years without putting my Old World Christmas ornaments up (because they're super special to me and very breakable), my mom suggested this pre-lit white berry tree when shopping one day. I squeezed it into a corner in mine and Joe's bedroom.  One day when only Max was home, he carefully helped me unwrap every ornament, tally them up (~150) and place the on the tree.   

Wren's Holiday bed.  Otto walked into her room after I had made her bed and he giggled excitedly..."It's a hotel bed!!!"  I translate that to mean all the sheets and pillow cases coordinate - thus it reminds him of when we stay at a hotel.


I played around with some fresh greenery, red berries and mercury glass for little displays throughout the house.


Joe finally hung his deer heads on the wall downstairs.  To which I promptly hung a Christmas ball ornament from one of the antlers (not pictured).

It was nice to have a white Christmas.  It was a bit too cold, too fast, this December, but the snow was much welcomed.

A little tough to see given the snow cover, but I bought the potted greenery at Costco and then added some birch bark and more berries from our back yard.  Then I placed the pot in a burlap sack.


I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment