Friday, July 6, 2012

Independence Day

With temps at 100 degrees, humidity close to the same, a whole lot of kids and one refreshing pool, the kids were in red white and blue in the morning, and then very quickly got out of that and into swimsuits to celebrate the 4th!




I had so much fun with Otto in the pool on the 4th. I hope you will not deem me an irresponsible parent, as Otto doesn't know how to swim and it's very clear that he's jumping off the diving board in the deep end without a life jacket on. He didn't touch his life jacket at all yesterday and he spent a lot of time in water over his head.

Earlier this summer Joe and I were trying to force Otto to wear a life jacket. We found ourselves getting upset with him for wanting to be in the pool without it. Mad at him for wading on the ledge in the shallow end - even when one of us was easily within arm's reach of him and paying attention.

Our attitude and temperament was very different than it had been two summers ago when Max was the same age Otto is now and doing the same things. We cheered Max on for being brave. We encouraged him to take safe risks. We let him try to swim, knowing full well he'd bob under, get a mouthful, and then come up sputtering...ready to try it again.

Otto wants his turn for the same (it is Independence Day)! And Joe and I want that too (it just took us a couple tries to figure out our new system for safely handling this). So, now we put Max in the life jacket and ask Wren to keep an eye on him (JK!!!). And take Otto in!

"I want to carefully pour gas on that flame with my right hand while holding a fire extinguisher in my left. Alas, there’s only so much that can be taught. Most lessons are learned."

Otto had so, so, soooo much fun in the pool. Swimming back and forth between me and Jamie (not really swimming, but given his determination, hard work & stamina he may be by the end of the season). Going down the slide into the pool. Jumping off the side and diving board into into people's arms.

There is absolutely nothing better for a mom than seeing your kid smiling and laughing and having.a.blast. A wild, crazy (ENERGY BURNING) great time! Why, then, did he still wake at 6am following a post-fireworks bedtime of 10:20pm???


Following a day in the pool, we continued the celebration with plenty of sparklers, firecrackers and fireworks. I've always loved spelling my name with a sparkler! It was no less fun this year spelling my whole family's names in light. Growing up, the 4th of July was a fun holiday for getting dressed in red, white and blue, spending time on the boat and going to a parade. I never thought much about the importance of it all. Then I had kids and now I find myself tearing up at the parade each summer. The men and women - who left their own families - to fight so we could have freedom is an overwhelming sacrifice. This is an incredibly important day to show our respect and appreciation for the greatest freedoms we have. The right to have a family and to raise our family in the way that's best for us.


- Max, Otto & Lyla watching as Joe lights off fireworks. I don't remember it being THIS bright out! Otto was surprised by one really loud firework and covered his ears the rest of the night.

- Oddly enough, the firework that startled him sounded Just Like how he sounds when throwing a shrieking tantrum. In the past day I have now used the reference to use a softer voice because he sounds like a firework to me and my ears hurt like his did while at the fireworks. It kinda worked as an explanation to him.

- Max's first year doing sparklers
- Jamie doing sparklers. Notice the "burning bush" of a tree? I'll need to get the story on this one... I walked over and her and Joe were constructing it with sparklers in bark!

No comments:

Post a Comment