Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Little Sister's Visit

I am a lot behind...

My little sister Katie (which I love saying and usually always call her, even though she's 32 years old) visited last week.

We had a pretty packed few days together, which was so much fun. And also tiring! Although Joe and I usually stay pretty busy, we don't always have activities planned non-stop.

Last Thursday it was Max's day to stay home with me and Wren. Once Katie got to our house we headed out to the (University of Minnesota) Arboretum. Katie is "one with the earth" - a master composter, gardener extraordinaire, possible seed bomber and guerrilla gardener, as well as sports a beautiful beet tattoo on her forearm (which apparently are never seen in photographs because in my many pictures I don't have a single decent one of the root on her inner arm).

I hadn't been to the Arboretum since well before having kids. I forgot how big it is. I forgot most everything about it. They have a darling outdoor play area for kids. Not a playground, but fun pretend play stuff. A little wooden playhouse and lots of logs and sticks and buckets and water and paintbrushes. I love kid's imaginations. We played there for an hour as Max made pizzas out of stumps and Wren painted with water.



Then we headed inside to get a break from the heat that hasn't let up for awhile here. Auntie Katie had a fun time teaching Max about plants and the resources used to grow different kinds of food ingredients. The exhibits were really well done - cute, interactive, kid friendly and incredibly educational (they lost me a couple times, but I'm pretty sure Max was tracking).


After the Arboretum we brought Wren in for her 9 month check-up. Katie was in town for Wren's 2 month appointment last December. And if she says she'll visit for Wren's 1st Birthday I will happily schedule Wren's doctor's appointment around the days she's in town this October! Snuggling (squirming) with Auntie Katie after her shots.


On Friday Jamie was off of work, so she and Katie joined me and the three kids and we headed to Minnehaha Falls. First up was the baby pool. Everyone had a blast - especially once it started to sprinkle and then outright rain while swimming. Somehow swimming in the rain makes the pool that much better!

After the pool we walked over to the Falls and Auntie Jamie gave us each a couple pennies to make a wish on and toss into the Falls.


Saturday we headed to the Schuster's pool along with all of Joe's siblings and their kids and family friends. We had a little Casserole Cook-Off where each family brought a casserole to share. A good change from the usual BBQ and pizza meals at the pool. We had a variety of casseroles including the classics - tuna and mac n cheese, a childhood classic from my family - hamburger, carrots, cheese and rice, and a couple new classics - chicken tender and loaded baked potato.

Following dinner my nieces Grace and Lyla provided entertainment by way of a shadow puppet show! Sooooo cute. Totally reminded me of when my sisters and I would put on American Girl plays when we were their age. We didn't have two toddler boy cousins to contend with as they tried to get behind the curtain, though.



And then Sunday morning, before Katie and Jamie headed up North for a family visit (I had a packed week at work that I could not get out of), Katie stopped by to say good-bye. She had just enough time to help string balloons and bury the treasure for the pirate party.


Come visit again soon!!! How about October for Wren's Birthday party!?!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment