Saturday, December 3, 2011

Turtles, Take One

I like to have "things" (a casual way to say "traditions"). Something that I do every year. I am trying to figure out what one or two things can be "mine" for the Holidays...the couple things that I love to do and am sure to prioritize each year so that if life gets too hectic and nothing else gets done, I will feel 'centered' and content with just these few things.

For the past year or two I've been dreaming of making really delicious turtles, and lots of them. Enough to package up cute and hand out to neighbors, school teachers, mail lady, friends, family, you get the point. I have this vision of my family and our extended family in a big old farmhouse, fully decked out for the holidays making football field lengths of buttery, rich confections.

Everyone says they are putszy, but they seem less daunting to me than making a variety of cookies. As long as you keep stirring the caramel and get the timing/temperature right, you can have dozens of turtles just moments after that. ...Or, dozens of "Werther's Unoriginal" hard candies as Joe called ours. You guessed it - we didn't get our timing/temperature just right and our dozens of turtles wound up being hard candy with some pecans in them. Joe (being Joe) popped the pecans out of the hardened caramel for when we give turtle making a 2nd try. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get them right when we try again in a few days.


This photo looks pretty tempting and yummy.




Our little candy girl who "helped" us.


No comments:

Post a Comment