Tuesday, December 27, 2011

If a Lawyer can get fired for misplacing a comma...

Over the past few years I've toyed with the idea of eliminating sending Christmas cards, and yet each year I end up deciding to still send them. I like receiving USPS mail and figure many of our friends and family do as well. I also like to have the annual holiday card to remember what our family was like "this year."

Well in advance of the holiday season I had our card concept figured out. I just needed to find someone who had a smidge of graphic design know-how to draw the christmas bulbs and put the text and images into a printable file. I decided to give the General Mills concierge service a try (where they hook you up with an on-site designer), and boy oh boy, can I just say I will NEVER use their "recommended" designers again. EVER.

Quick vent... Prior to December 1st I shared a sketch of the below card layout and asked the designer for an estimate on how long it would take to complete. Her response, "A half hour, maybe 40 mins, including one revision." Fast forward to December 16th, which was the date I received the 1st proof, and December 22nd when I received the final proof and printed cards.

Even though December unexpectedly became a whole lot of busy, anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty good at follow-up. This was no different. I followed up to see when I could expect a 1st draft. And again, and again (because the designer apparently kept forgetting that she just had to "find a few minutes to complete it, then I'll have it for you in the morning.")

On December 16th, (when, at the beginning of this process, designer had agreed to have a completed file on the 15th), and I wasn't getting a response, I decided to go back to the Concierge who had hooked me up with the designer and try to figure out why the non-response. Turns out the designer had left the building. She was on vacation until January 3rd. Happily, a new designer swooped in and, literally, had taken my original email dated back in November and sent me a proof in about 30 minutes.

Oh, how does this tie back to the title of "If a lawyer can get canned for a misplaced comma..."? Simple, although the 2nd designer punched out the design, she forgot to remove the comma from "May your new year to come be merry and bright" and had the cards printed without this change. Although I hate misused commas, I hated working with these designers even more. So, the grammatically incorrect cards went out. After, of course, hundreds of tiny little thumb prints were stamped. There is a very good reason hospitals give you your new baby's foot print and NOT their hand print or thumb print.

Merry Christmas Everyone! And may the New Year to come be merry and bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment