Monday, February 27, 2012

Mommy & Me. Yeah, We're Crafty!


I'm not one to dress my kids in matching outfits (um...getting them dressed in any clothes is a good 1st step most days), let alone myself and my kids in "mommy & me" get-ups. And then again, I never say never. Our matching doily tank top and onesie might be the closest I get to it, and I think it's just about right for me and Wren!

Joe's mom gave me a lot of her late Great Aunt Marie's (Joe's grandma's sister-in-law) crocheted items over Christmas. I went through the bag and found a few treasures to use, a few more to repurpose and a few others I couldn't think of what to do with, including these small "snowflake" doilies. I loved them, but didn't want them to become clutter so was going to give them back. Joe seemed surprised and asked if I was sure I couldn't think of something to do with them. As luck would have it, a day later I came across this idea for a doily t-shirt.


I met Great Aunt Marie just a few times, and only during the last couple years of her life while she was in a home. There aren't a lot of people that I meet that I would say their "eyes smiled," but she was one of them. She had a sound mind but a worn out body. I could tell she lived a good life and cared deeply about her family. She was quiet, but I sensed she had great hopes for Joe (& by nature of our long-term relationship), also for me and our future family that she surely knew would come to life after she was gone.

Given Wren is growing like a weed, this special onesie won't fit her much longer. But it makes me happy to have found such a pretty and special way to showcase the snowflake doilies. And I'll make sure to preserve Wren's onesie and Aunt Marie's talent and spirit in a 1st Year memory quilt, just like I had made for Otto and Max.

2 comments:

  1. That is seriously cute and I love it on the gray and blue - it does NOT look matchy matchy. I'm feeling left out and would love to see a video of how you did it so I could create my very own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely cute craft project aside, can we pause for a second and talk about how gorgeous YOU look? Motherhood looks good on you....

    ReplyDelete