Thursday, June 28, 2012

10 Schuster Thumbs Up

Let me start by stating I have an aversion to theme parks.

That sounds horrible. They are supposed to be nothing but fun. However, there are usually long lines, gross hot & sticky weather, smelly & dirty surroundings, etc.

And let me end by stating I have a new found love of Planet Snoopy at Valleyfair.


It's hard to dislike a place when all three kids love it. They had so much fun here.

Last Saturday when we saw that clouds and a moderate 75+ degrees were in the forecast for the entire day, we jumped at the opportunity and got ourselves to Valleyfair shortly after it opened. I'm guessing it was the overcast weather with a chance of rain that kept the crowds away. This probably helped make our experience even better. We never waited more than a few minutes in any lines. We weren't sweaty and sticky from humidity. My eyes weren't seeing stars from the piercing sun shining off metal roller coasters.


THE RIDES

- I've never been on a horizontal ride and sooo wanted to go on this. I should have taken a turn with Max after him and Joe went. We'll have to return so I can have turn.


- I have to say I am curious why they will let Otto go in this ride, which lifts up about 20 feet off the ground, over a foot of water and spins around fast, without an adult, but not the mini semi trucks (which go slower than the planes and never leave the ground). I was a bit nervous, not know how Otto would react (would he try to jump out, freak out, etc). Turns out he wound up with a daredevil as his pilot. The bigger kid in front of him was totally bouncing and rocking the plane. Otto loved it! He got off and wouldn't stop exclaiming "Bouncing up and down!!!" and begging to ride again.

- The boys went on the rocket ship ride. Joe said Otto was clinging to him given how high up they were, but seemed to really like it.


- Max chose to ride this ride, which is like a kiddie version of the "Power of Tower" or "Death Drop" or whatever the adult rides are that shoot you up high and let you free fall for about a hundred stories. He didn't know what the ride was going to do until that first drop (they then shot the kids back up again for another half dozen free falls). This was hard for me to watch. He didn't scream, but he was PETRIFIED and everyone watching could tell. His eyes were begging me to make them stop the ride and he was mouthing how he was scared and wanted to get out. Totally my kid. I'll ride loop-de-loop coasters all day long, but can't stand the free falls.



- Other than the train, I don't think there were any rides Wren could go on, but she had a blast taking everything in. I think she kind of looks a little like Lucy.

- Max enjoyed getting his picture taken with Snoopy and Sally. And informed us that he knows there are just people inside the costumes. That blows. We haven't even been to Disney yet - and when we go I'd really like him to believe in the magic and think the characters are real.

- Planet Snoopy has a "Family Center" with diaper changing stations and sinks, family bathrooms, microwaves for bottles and highchairs and nursing rooms. All air conditioned and very clean. Plus a little "lounge" for the kids to chill out in and watch Charlie Brown while mom and dad take turns getting all the kids and themselves cleaned, fed, diapered, etc. Seriously great and seriously huge selling point for this place.


- The train ride (pictured above) is pretty much the only thing I don't recommend with three young, squirl-y kids, as it goes super slow and makes a 10-15 minute stop half way through the ride. We road this once before with Max and Otto and I fully remember Max (2 yrs at the time) wanting to get off. Same situation this time, with an additional kid.

- Remarkably I think we only had one minor meltdown all day. It's pictured above. Guess what it was about. Look again. See that huge, metal circle painted to look like a chocolate chip cookie that Snoopy was holding. Yes? Max noticed it too. And wanted one RIGHT.NOW. Really bad. A huge chocolate chip cookie. I want one. I really, really want one Mom. Dad, I WANT a cookie. Get me one right now.

Thankfully there were no real cookies in sight (and no huge crowds in sight to witness his little tantrum) so we plucked them up, scurried them along and found a handful of fun distractions that we could offer them to get their mind off it.

No comments:

Post a Comment