Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Holiday Letter of Sorts


A look back at some of the highlights from this past year...

* Otto turned 1 & Max turned 3
In early 2011, Otto turned one and Max turned three. We celebrated with lots of cake - pancakes with sprinkles, cupcakes and layer cake! As soon as we came off our sugar high, we realized we had two really active and inquisitive toddler boys - and we haven't slowed down since.


* Schuster Family Vacation in Hawaii
The entire Schuster side of our family headed to the Big Island in March. That was 7 adults and 5 kids catching three flights to get there, three rental cars once on the island, and one big house for seven nights. We had the most gorgeous of weather, an amazing beach front house and lots of family time. Max is now in love with Hawaii and I hope he always remembers the memories spent with his cousins and grand-parents. The one downfall was the Tsunami that came through during our stay. Thankfully we were all safe - just a bit cold and tired after spending a night and day in our rental cars.



* 26.2 in Boston
In April Joe ran the Boston marathon (sadly, although I had also qualified for this race, I did not get myself registered in time). I was bummed that Joe and I couldn't run this one together. Joe said it was his toughest marathon to date...winter training leading into the early Spring race, a knee that took a beating, etc. But let's not mince words, I believe his exact ones were "It sucked." He did not like the whole race experience surrounding Boston. It was a 3am EST wake-up call, sitting on a cramped school bus for an hour being driven 26 miles outside Boston, waiting outside in freezing darkness for two hours until race time and more. As much as I would like to run Boston, I know if I qualify, Joe won't be running it again given how much he disliked it. The good news is we have the most beautiful urban marathon right outside our front door, and I'm thinking it's back on my list of races to run in 2012.

While in Boston I got some time to catch up with my friend Michele. We caught a Red Sox game with our husbands, enjoyed a beer at a local brewery and Michele spectated the whole race day with me!

* Pregnant with our 3rd
Given 9 months of 2011 I was pregnant, I suppose this should also be captured as a highlight of the past year. While I feel a little bad that I only took a true "belly picture" once, yes once, during my entire pregnancy (and it was actually taken at 40 weeks & 2 days), I know I'll have plenty of other keepsakes and memories that I've been working on for Wren since she was born.
* Grand Marais vacais, part deux
Me, Joe, Max & Otto went on our 1st family vacation to Grand Marais when Otto was about 6 months old. We went back for the 2nd time when Otto was 17 months (June 2011). We are pretty sure this vacation spot will be an annual one for our family. It is the perfect mix of outdoor adventures, quiet cabin time, good coffee and awesome donuts. We are excited to head there in 2012 with Wren also in tow.



* Bathroom Remodel
Perhaps the shiniest highlight from 2011 was our bathroom remodel. Joe worked his tail off, night and day, for a few weeks to entirely gut & redo our home's only bathroom. Knocking out a wall allowed us to go from a bathroom with only one sink to a double vanity and a bit more space. I am always amazed at Joe's talent and craftsmanship. It was so endearing when my grandpa said to Joe, "If I were 25 years younger, I would love to work with you on a project."


* Camping with Katie and the Boys
During the core week when Joe was gutting our bathroom, my sister Katie and I (as I headed to Madison to stay with my mom for a week) took Max and Otto camping for a night. The boys had so much fun pitching the tent, swimming in the river next to our campsite, eating s'mores and finding bugs in the forrest. Auntie Katie was the perfect camping companion. My 34-week pregnant belly was not the perfect camping companion...Glad I can say that my back has recovered from the sleeping bag on hard ground. The next camping trip will likely include Joe, Wren and an air mattress.


* Madison with my Mom and the Boys
Max, Otto and I spent a week in Madison visiting with my mom while Joe redid the bathroom. It was fun exploring the city through the eyes of a toddler and a pre-schooler. We went to the Vilas Zoo, Terrace, Babcock Hall for ice cream and cow milking, Little Amerikka amusement park and more.


* Wren is here
Make room on that toolbox, boys, your little sister is here!


No comments:

Post a Comment