Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pintastic! Pleasantly Proven Wrong

If you're not a fan of good food, using common ingredients, that are easy to make, stop reading now. If, however, you are a fan, you might enjoy an otherwise boring post that contains a handful of mediocre photos (at best, especially those ipad's images!) and links to the tasty recipes.

When I first started using Pinterest, I was certain I would not use it for recipes. I have hundreds of cookbooks and a few favorite recipe sites and apps at my fingertips. But then, a few weeks ago I found myself eyeing said images in my "Following" feed and couldn't resist creating a "Recipes" board. Oohh, I really love when I am pleasantly proven wrong!!! I think Joe does too, given the amount of new meals I've been whipping up.

The beauty of Pinterest (& the below recipes) is that it doesn't get much better than seeing a delicious looking food image with a few ingredients listed next to it. If something looks good, can be described in a few words or less (and the kicker: I can pretty much guess how to make it just by looking at it), I am hooked.


Dessert for the past few nights. Heavenly & Healthy. And so fun to have Max ask (when I was having difficulty locating the pears at Costco today), "I know Mom, how about we bake apples if we can't find pears!" I've never baked apples in my life, but this recipe and Max's enthusiasm all but ensure that's on the docket for this week!

Add some garlic, oil and salt and roast. Ta.Da. Super simple and a change from plain old steamed cauliflower. The boys still didn't love the cauliflower, but did enjoy the peas. More for me. Sigh.

Such a great simple salad. And as I sampled it after making it at 4:38pm and noticed the sun was still a good 15 minutes from setting, it only made me wish for Spring that much more.

I love brussels sprouts. I was getting sick of always sauteing or roasting them, resulting in generally the same flavor. Why didn't I ever think of shredding them? Toss them in the Cusinart, toss them in a pan, add some lemon, stock and poppy seeds. Presto change-o. Although not earth shatteringly good, a refreshing change.

Autumn Chopped Salad
My husband is not a man who throws around superlatives easy or often, so his comment of "This is the best salad I've ever had" - uttered twice about this Autumn Chop Salad - should speak for itself. Get yourself the above ingredients (as well as some creamy balsamic dressing and poppy seed dressing, and a little chicken if you wish) and get chopping. Knowing the boys would like all the ingredients except the lettuce, I just tossed a little bit of everything but that on their plates and dinner was, what do they say, served!

Oh my were these delicious! Some quinoa, cheese, carrots, eggs, etc. Another "It's a keeper!" from Joe after dinner tonight. Max gobbled them up, but Otto stuck to his fruit. At least I've found another (non meat, non peanut) lunch option to pack for Max.

Cook the rice and then toss it in a stir-fry pan with some chopped shrimp, pineapple, fish sauce and soy sauce. It was pretty good - and the flavors are quite mild so the boys ate much of the rice dish too.

1 comment:

  1. you know i don't cook, but just tried the autumn chopped salad and LOVE! substituted toasted pine nuts for pecans. planned to add jicama, but i lost it. can't wait to see where that turns up...hopefully sometime soon. thanks for the fabuloso recipe that even i can manage!

    ReplyDelete