Friday, January 6, 2012

Melts My Heart

Max had his first babysitting experience and boy am I glad he excelled at it.

I needed to get Otto down for a nap, and given Max was coughing non-stop, I figured he'd sleep in mine and Joe's bed once I was done with Otto. However, Wren was also wide awake and looking to play...what to do with her while I take 5 minutes to get Otto down?

Hmm...
"Max, do you think you can babysit Wren while I put Otto down for his nap?"

"Oh yeah, I can do that."

"Great. Remember the rules...talk to her lots, show her your toys, see how much you can make her laugh. Do not pick her up out of her bouncy seat, and always turn away and cover your cough."

Off I go with Otto, feeling pretty certain, but not entirely certain, of the two other kids I've left alone 50 feet down a hallway from me. Luckily Otto is tired and goes to bed quickly and easily. During the few minutes of rocking Otto, I hear Max totally talking up a storm with Wren. I hear rattling of toys. I don't hear any baby cries. I actually hear some baby giggles.

I quietly sneak out of Otto's room to take a peak at Max and Wren.
Here's what I see:


Wren's eyes were wide and just glued to her big brother. She had an enormous smile on her face and was having the.time.of.her.life.

Max was talking about how he was going to put the smaller reindeer ears on her because they'll fit her better. He was jingling the bells on the ears for her and making her giggle.

My heart melted faster than the snow is melting in Minneapolis in January (50 degrees yesterday...snow is becoming puddles pretty quick).


No comments:

Post a Comment