Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pintastic! Idle minds are the devil's workshop

Are you loving Pinterest as much as I am? I've got to say that it has been such a huge help to me as I think of ways to keep the boys entertained. As anyone with toddlers knows, if you keep the kids engaged in some kind of activity they are so much better behaved than when left entirely to their own devices. While I'm fully supportive of free play and not over-scheduling kids, I am a huge fan of guiding them to an activity and allowing their creativity to take over.

I've been able to quickly peruse a variety of crafty ideas on Pinterest, file some away for later and implement the easy ones when a moment of boredom strikes the boys. Literally, if me or the boys are feeling antsy, I pull up the app and see what I've got on hand that we can do.

While I do have a few gripes with Pinterest (I'll save that for a different post), the benefits far outweigh the minor grievances. Take for instance, a few recent Pintastic activities.

Exhibits A - C
It was fun to see what shapes everyone decided to make with their pieces of blue tape. We learned it's more challenging to make the curvy lines of the "O" for Otto out of the tape than it is to make the straight lines for the "M" in Max. Max also helped me learn that the blue tape peels off the paper more easily if you do it while the paint is still wet vs. waiting until the next morning when the paint is dry (the things they learn during "tool time" with Joe)!

These homemade instruments are the music of angels. Nice and twinkly and soft. I thoroughly enjoyed music time that was a few (hundred) decibles quieter than usual. Max enjoyed practicing the dexterity necessary to string the jingle bells onto the pipe cleaner and lacing the pipe cleaner through a hole punched in the paper plates. Otto liked practicing his scissor skills the most. The quiet constructive time was music to my ears.


While I'm always ready to take down my Christmas decorations by the end of December, I do miss the peaceful glow of the tree's lights inside our house. This Pin crossed my path at the perfect time... I had a spare set of white lights and grabbed some doilies when I was at the paper store. Voila! I've got "winter" and "Valentine" lights to enjoy now that the Christmas tree is down. A lovely touch to our living room given the short, dark winter days we still have.

No comments:

Post a Comment