Monday, January 9, 2012

Is that really what they look like?

Wrens. As in the bird. Is this really what they look like?


I know the disgusting worn grass (it's January...it should at least be snow covered) and dismal day doesn't help, but the birds in this picture just do not look very pretty. And Joe insists that they are wrens, so I would have really liked them to look beautiful. We named our daughter after them and all (Well, not really. We just liked the name, so it's not like we named our Wren after the bird wren. In fact, I'll have to save the "meaning" of her name for a different post).

But I digress. What I wanted to share was that when I got home the other day, Joe was so excited to share with me that he saw "A thousand wren birds all swoop down and land on our front lawn at the same time."

Me: A thousand.

Joe: There were at least a couple hundred, but I really think closer to a thousand.

Me: Was it a sign?

Joe: It must have been.

Me: Of what?

Joe: That we picked a good name for Wren.

Me: (after Joe showed me the picture) Those look too big to be wrens, are you sure they aren't crows. I think wrens are tiny birds, under 5", and lighter in color.

Me & Joe: Google image search of wren bird

Results: A description and picture of a wren bird that is less common, but larger and darker in color than the average wren. Looks surprisingly similar to the thousand birds that landed on our lawn.

So...I'm not exactly sure the point of this post, other than our front lawn is pretty gross right now. Their may be a darker colored species of wrens that are larger than 5". A thousand of them might have landed on our lawn. It was a sign, but we're not sure of what.

Regardless, I love that Joe was so, so, so excited about these wren birds landing on our lawn. To me it's a sign that he's smitten with a little birdie in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment