Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Fun One

Late last week and through early this week Joe was ill with the flu. Didn't come out of bed for 5 days sick. Didn't do anything for 5 days sick. Very unlike him.

This left me in charge of the Three without the usual fun adventures and "garage" time Joe gives them (& me, considering it's always a nice break when Joe's got them engaged in a project).

After just a day or two inside the house I was trying to figure out where I could take the Three for a change of scenery and to burn off some energy (them, not me:). I wasn't about to take them all sledding without an extra set of helping hands.

That's when we decided to pack up and head to the Playland at McDonald's. This was not my idea. Nor was last weekend's trip to Nickelodeon Universe (also followed by McDonald's) my idea. I'm their Mom. Ideas that fun don't cross my mind. It was their fun Auntie Jamie's idea.

When I think of the Mall of America, theme parks and Playlands I think of lines, melt-downs, chaos and more...from my kids as well as a bunch of other kids. Who wants that?

But Jamie? All she thinks of is fun, smiles, squeals of delight (except for the boys on the very high ferris wheel), milkshakes & happy meals!

And lone behold, we had a lot of everything Jamie was thinking of and very little of the stuff I was dreading.

Back to last Friday night. I pack up the Three, we pick up Jamie and get all of us into the McDonald's Playland. The boys have been here before (with who, I wonder ;) and know just what to do... Place their request for a Happy Meal as they're taking off their shoes and darting towards the slides and climbers.

I don't know just what to do. In under 5 minutes I've somehow taken up residence at three different tables (one for our outerwear and car seat, another for myself, Jamie and Wren to sit at and a final table for eating at). Give me another 5 minutes and I've spilled a bottle of milk all over the floor.

But you know what? The boys are having a blast playing and Wren is having a blast watching. All I can think is that she'll certainly think our dinnertimes at home are relatively peaceful compared to all this excitement. That thought alone makes the Playland worth it. The smiles, happy squeals and running around someplace other than our house...well that's just the cherry on the Shamrock Shake!

The Fun One

One of our tables

Milkshakes!




No comments:

Post a Comment