Monday, March 5, 2012

Pintastic! The New Google


Well it feels good to know that I'm using Pinterest the way really smart people think I'm using it (or should be using it). It's CRAZY to think that Pinterest is driving more traffic than Google, YouTube and LinkedIn combined. Like, crazy crazy.

But I totally get why it is.

By way of (just one) example, I have literally changed the way I search for recipes online. Of course I used to go to the standard cooking websites to look for a new recipe. Over the past few months I've been going to Pinterest and searching there, with overall better results, both in terms of how inspiring the ideas are that come up in the search queue, as well as how easy and tasty the dishes end up being.

When I had a Costco size bag of kale to use up, I did a little test and searched "kale" on allrecipes, epicurious and Pinterest. The cooking sites were fairly consistent: out of date, less appealing food photography, less descriptive recipe titles, more intricate culinary skills needed and more obscure ingredients.

The cooking site search netted Mediterannean Kale, Garlic Kale, Kale Salata and Kale Soup. By these titles I wasn't entirely sure what the recipe was for, or what was in the soup or salad besides kale.

Pinterest however brought me to a very appetizing looking Kale & Quinoa Quiche and Kale & Feta Baked Eggs. Two recipes that not only looked good, but were nice and specific so I knew what I'd be getting if I clicked through to the recipe!

OK. 'Nough about Pinterest for a little while. But go ahead and give it a try as your new Google. You might love what you find!

Unbaked Eggs & Kale
Baked Eggs & Kale
Kale & Quinoa Quiche

No comments:

Post a Comment