Thursday, March 1, 2012

Como Zoo

Otto, Wren and I checked out Toddler Thursday at Como Zoo last week and thoroughly enjoyed our local free zoo (please donate $ each time you visit...it helps keep this a zoo we can all enjoy at a minimal cost!).

It was a mild winter day yet again in Minneapolis so we packed up the stroller and made our way to Minneapolis' twin city of St Paul for a morning of animals and art. Both kids stayed awake the whole time as we took in the new Polar Bear exhibit, aquarium, big cats and giraffes before heading to the Toddler activities.

The Polar Bears are HUGE (1000 lbs with paws the size of big dinner plates) and you can get an incredibly up-close look at them:


I must say I got a tiny bit worried when the bears lifted the enormous plastic barrels on their heads and slammed them against the glass window while diving into the water. The walls shook!

Otto squealed and clapped so much while he listened to the seals bark and watched them waddle. Both kids liked the Big Cat house. Otto saying "kitty cat" while pointing at the tigers and running back and forth through the uncrowded hall. Wren smiling and babbling as she looked at the colorful murals painted on the ceiling. I was thrilled that the zoo was not very busy and we could easily and leisurely stroll in the animal houses.

A photo opp occurred and I wish I were a photographer so I could have captured it just how I was imagining it in my mind. Otto and Wren face each other in the double stroller, and when we were in the Giraffe house the giraffes kept circling each other and their necks would cross and they would face each other just like how Otto and Wren were. Try as I might, I could not capture both kids and both giraffes looking at each other...but I'm sure you all can imagine how cute it would have been if I did:)


We'll be back to visit the Zoo again. Please let us know if you'd like to join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment