Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Three of My Three

This week I've been looking through photos from when Wren was born and selecting the ones I will print for her baby book. It's been a wonderful jaunt down memory lane.

I'm amazed at how quickly life changes in 5 months time. Things that seemed so scary 5 months ago are not so scary anymore. Things that felt awkward and klutzy are second nature. Things that were really, really challenging are a little less challenging these days. Worries have turned into joys.

We're at a new normal. At least as a family we are.

In less than 4 weeks I've got what I think will be the most daunting task ever...getting back into the working mom groove. This time with three really little kids in tow instead of just two. I have no clue how I'm (we're) going to get out of our house, usually before 7:25 am, all put together for a day at the office.

But if the past is a good predictor of the future, I know we'll manage just fine some mornings, struggle others and utterly rock.it. a few mornings here and there too (on those mornings I will wish that the DQ was open before 8am because I'd be buying congratulatory ice cream cones for everyone in my car as well as all other customers in the drive-thru).

And then of course we still have to get home in time to feed, play with, bathe, brush and bedtime story all three of them. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Almost 4 weeks is a good chunk of time to turn a blind eye to any potential problems.

So, thinking back to when the days were simpler. Or maybe I mean more complicated (I didn't say everything's been figured out in the past 5 months).

Three of My Three...


Tummy Time was often a family affair. When Otto was a newborn, Max always wanted to practice tummy time with him. No different once Wren came along. All three of them would pile onto her little playmat and work on strengthening their core muscles. Practice makes better.

Ooops. Looks like the one who needs the practice isn't getting any.


Small things like big scrapes on faces apparently went somewhat unnoticed the first couple weeks that Wren was home. Looking at this picture now (& a few other close-up's of Otto's face) I realize that I may not have fully "noticed" Otto's gash. I kind of remember being in a bit of a haze when one of his teacher's commented on it at drop-off one morning. The thing is Otto is one tough cookie. When he fell and got the gash, he just jumped up and continued running to keep up with Max, so I blew it off too. Remarkably, within about 5 days this big cut was totally healed. Resilience.


And can I just say how happy I am that Max's hair is shorter now! I always thought I liked his long hair, but I like it better shorter. Perspective. That's another thing I've gained these past 5 months. Otto's hair will be cropped soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment