Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Little Surprised. A Lot Delighted.

I'm down to less than one week before heading back to the office (excuse while I have a minor freak out). And as I look back across the past 6 months off, it's obvious to me that one of my "things" has been sewing on this maternity leave. I so hope that I'll continue to make the time for this little hobby once back in the working world.

Each month I've tried learning different skills and tackling new projects. Most recently I attempted sewing my first zipper. I did so without using the suggested (required?) zipper foot attachment because I was kind of renegade sewing and couldn't instantly figure out how to use it. I was making a little waterproof pouch for Greta as part of her Birthday gift and was short on time so I just gave it a shot without the special notion. It seemed to work, but I will need to take the time soon to learn about the zipper foot.

And then I took on the task of making my first dress - for me, since I've already made Wren a couple. It seemed simple enough. Attach some flow-y fabric to a store-bought tank top, and voila, the "10 Minute Maxi." I hodge-podged a couple different tutorials together and made my own plan for how to sew the dress. I used elastic thread for the first time. I used nearly two yards of fabric for the first time. I used more than 10 minutes to make it.

And I was little surprised and a lot delighted with the outcome!



If I can find tank tops on sale and inexpensive fabric (heck, even if I pay full price for both of those items), this "instant outfit" is inexpensive and original. I've already been searching for new fabrics so I can make another dress for this summer.

Now the question is...who else has a sewing machine, or is going to get one, so we can have our very own modern day quilting bees? Scrap that. No biggie if you don't want to sew; we can still hang out and bee together.

1 comment:

  1. don't speak of going back to corporate! This is nonsense when you can do beautiful things like this. LOVE the fabric (that only you would find!) the style, the comfort - everything. Sell these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete