Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Party!


I haven't written much, if anything about running on this blog. Initially I had intended, even got the domain name set, for a second blog to capture my musings on running and running a family. It's been three months and I haven't written a single entry over there.

But Joe and I have been running. And Diane, John and Jamie have been babysitting. A lot recently. We're in the "most miles" month training for the Green Bay marathon on May 20th (maybe the 19th...but I've got a few weeks to get that figured out).

So, partly as a thank you to them. Partly as a good excuse for a partial family get-together. Partly as an excuse for a party (Max really wanted to host a party and invite guests over). We had a very last minute "party" last night.

Joe made an amazing lasagna. Somehow whipped up a homemade white sauce, doctored up Prego for the red sauce, roasted some red peppers and delighted us all with a delicious meal...all after a tough, cold and wet 22 mile run.

While Joe was prepping dinner, the boys slept and Wren and I ran a few errands to get things we needed for the party. I didn't want Joe's parents or my sister to have to bring anything over for the meal - just show up. Especially given how much they already do for us. But, they brought over delicious salad and tons of dessert.

When Max woke from his nap at 4pm, I told him that Daddy and I had talked and we decided we could have a party that night. He'd wanted to invite guests over Friday night, but we only had fish sticks and leftover cooked broccoli to offer them, so nothing much became of that. When I said guests would be arriving in about an hour, Max was incredibly cute and got to work.

He tidy'd up the house (moved all toys into his and Otto's room), practiced how he'd take guests coats and lead them into the house ("Mom, I think I'll lead them by twirling my hand like this so they can follow me") and then worked on offering them refreshments (which was too cute when I heard him offer my sister "Would you like a water or beer or wine?" when she walked in the house).

Here are Max and Otto, totally enthralled with drinking milk out of champagne glasses. Who doesn't like drinking out of a special cup? Notice how fancy they are? Max insisted on his button down shirt, a tie and sweat pants. Otto chose the stick on tie.

Jamie, John & Diane with the kids


Otto helping toss the salad

Max & Grandma Diane

Jamie & Wren

As a little thank you for the babysitting they've been doing, I got a floral arrangement for Jamie and Diane. I loved how the florists at Brown & Greene whipped up something so pretty on the spot.


As I mentioned, I didn't want our guests to have to bring anything, but Jamie said she had already stopped at Yum! and picked up a box full of treats. So, dessert looked like this. French Silk Pie, Ice Cream, 5 kinds of cupcakes, Patti Cake!

Safe to say the boys weren't the only ones who enjoyed themselves last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment