Monday, April 2, 2012

Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady


Over the past few weeks I've been practicing more sewing, and one of the projects I wanted to tackle was a little skirt for Wren. I must say that the tutorial I found for this skirt is remarkably easy and quick to complete. Yet for some reason it took me three tries before I got a skirt that I really liked.

ONCE
Practice skirt. I used some of my old/scrap fabric to try making this for the first time. The skirt ended up being a bit too tiny - kind of fitted on Wren. And the two layers of the seersucker fabric didn't have much flounce in it.




TWICE
I was so excited with this little "Fat Quarter" of fabric I bought that I didn't want to take the time to wash and dry it before making the skirt. I knew this was a bad idea, even though I thought I had accounted for shrinkage by cutting the fabric a few inches bigger than the first one I made. Lone behold, after washing the skirt, it's length was identical to the first one I made. Micro mini. And we're not doing micro mini's in our house. It's cute, but isn't very practical given it won't fit Wren for too long.



THREE TIMES!
Third time was a charm! Off I went to the cute little sewing/crafty store in my neighborhood to pick out some more fabric. A couple weeks had passed since the previous two skirts I made, which means Wren had probably grown another couple inches. So this time I bought a half yard, knowing it would be enough to make a skirt big enough. I ended up using exactly a quarter yard of fabric to make the skirt. It looks cute and I actually think it will fit her til this Fall.

Once I made this skirt I loved it so much I wanted to make another one right away given I had exactly enough fabric to do so. I whipped up a duplicate to give to Wren's friend Tillie. Did you guys have "twins" day at your school? When I was growing up my girl friends and I would pick a day and all dress alike. I'm hoping Wren & Tillie will want to carry on that tradition (Wren & Tillie will be at the same daycare once I go back to work).



While Max was playing with his Playmobil (obsessed. max, and me!) people, Max saw that I had made a second skirt just like Wren's and asked about it. I told him who it was for, etc. He asked if I'd make a skirt for his Playmobil girl, so...


2 comments:

  1. First, I am pretty much counting down the days until Wren and Tillie can be daycare twins (not that I'm wishing away your last month of leave :)

    Second, that playmobil skirt is amazing.

    I think I may need to commission you for sewing lessons someday.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you figured out the skill of sewing! I remember sewing and croqueting for my Barbies so it is nice to see the basics survive time. Hopefully we can still schedule a girls sewing day in the future! Happy Easter to you and your beautiful family. Love, Tillie's Grandma Nancy

    ReplyDelete